Epilepsy is easily treated only if a diagnosis is correct and the effective medicines are selected. Every patient is recommended to choose a medicine individually, after complete examination. For example, Klonopin helps during convulsive seizures, and therefore it is often prescribed during the attacks of the generalized type.
Klonopin is one of the most popular drugs for the treatment and prevention of epilepsy. It contains Clonazepam, a tranquilizer from group of benzodiazepines. The use of benzodiazepines in the treatment of epilepsy is a standard medical practice. They act quickly, easily help to lower the frequency and intensity of the convulsive attacks.
Klonopin differs from classical tranquilizers because its action is directed at the improvement of the epilepsy symptoms. It is responsible for the susceptibility of the CNS to gamma-amino-butyric acid. The higher the susceptibility is, the more effective the acid inhibits the agitation of the neurons, and the probability of the attacks is reduced.
Klonopin is released in the pills for the oral use. They differ by color but have same round shape.
– Klonopin 0,5 mg are orange and have an embossed letter K in the middle
– Klonopin 1 mg are blue and have an embossed letter K in the middle
– Klonopin 2 mg are white and may have an embossed letter K in the middle
Whois prescribed Klonopin?
Klonopin is prescribed adults and children over 6 months for the treatment of epilepsy and organic affections of the brain caused a dysfunction of the central nervous system.
How totake Klonopin?
Topreventepilepsy, Klonopin is usedinthedoseof 0,5mg 3 timesperday. The pills can be used before or between meals, with enough water.
The dose of Klonopin is increased every 5-7 days to enhance the therapeutic effect. The optimal daily dose of Klonopin is 4-10 mg to control the symptoms of epilepsy. Thedailydoseisused 3 times, every 8 hours. If there is a tendency to the increase of the dose and development of tolerance during the prolonged treatment, the treatment is stopped or a medicine is replaced.
– The treatment is gradually ceased by reducing the daily dose by 1 mg every week. This will help to control the convulsive seizures and avoid the disease recurrence
– Klonopin may cause sleepiness and poor coordination, that is why it is better to restrict driving during the treatment
– Women during pregnancy and lactation are not prescribed Klonopin
– If severe diseases of liver/kidneys, the scheme of the treatment should be reconsidered and the daily dose should be reduced
Using Klonopin can cause side effects such as sleepiness, nausea, lack of energy, digestion disorder, or dizziness.
A correct dose guarantees the absence of the side effects, and therefore the treatment should be started from the minimal doses, and the dose of Klonopin should be gradually increased up to the required level. If the side effects become stronger, the treatment is ceased.