The Montauk Monster is Found!

Montauk Monster
Since I started this blog last summer, I’ve dedicated quite a bit of time to debunking all theories presented regarding the Montauk Monster. Was it a dog? Was it a pig? A viral marketing ploy? Honestly, it really doesn’t matter at this point as the original carcass was stolen and later disintegrated into a “ball of goo”.

On Wednesday May 5th 2009, I was contacted by a couple that sent a message to the general e-mail box on this website claiming they think they’ve found what appears to be the Montauk Monster. Naturally, I questioned it thinking it was BS, but they seemed credible enough (after a phone conversation of course) to take an hour drive to Southold and see it for myself up close and personal.

Upon discovery, it resembled what everyone saw last summer. This monster was located in Southold, NY on the Bay Area. For those who are unfamiliar with the area, this is the North Fork of Long Island. The beast smelled like a mix of low-tide and rotten garbage. It really smelled horrific. I couldn’t help but take numerous pictures of it and video clips.

The couple who tipped me off loaded the carcass into a garbage bag and took it home with them. We’ve been in correspondence numerous times and have agreed that for the remainder of the week, we’d keep this matter to ourselves. The remains are currently located in Southold in a cooler full of ice.

I wanted to think about the best way to expose this to the public. Since I own this medium, and have a genuine interest in the subject matter, I’d like to be the first to share this you. We did not contact any authorities as from previous experiences; the carcass has been taken from the finders or mysteriously “stolen”. If this is a genetic mishap from Plum Island, we’d like to sell the remains to an independent lab for study. It has become a race against the clock as the couple who originally found “Beastie” are diligently putting more ice into the cooler to keep the carcass fresh.

Also, I’ve thought about the possibilities that this carcass may be carrying H1N1 influenza. (The Swine Flu) Sorry, my mind is racing now, but I haven’t ruled out biological warfare on this yet. A diseased carcass floating in waterways around Long Island could be infecting the water, fish, etc. We still need to remember that Plum Island is where Lyme Disease originated, it’s really not too far fetched to believe that this carcass (if from Plum Island) could be carrying bacteria or disease.

Here is a video clip of our discovery:

After viewing this video above, please keep in mind that my intentions are not waste your time with a recreation of the Blair Witch Project. This video was taken at night on the beach where the monster was found. (Founder’s Landing Park, Southold NY)

I would like your honest opinion even you tell me “it’s a dog!” My intentions from the beginning have been to inform my readers of “The Truth, The Legend, and The Mystery” behind The Montauk Monster, a 2008 phenomenon. Additionally, I’m not interested in going on the Geraldo Rivera show like my buddy Mike did last summer as an eyewitness. It’s a tempting offer taking a limousine full of champagne sent by Geraldo to a TV studio, but I’ll take this time now to politely decline.

Here’s the deal:

I’m only interested in dealing with publications who have a genuine interest in this story, or have previously covered the Montauk Monster. I’m not looking to waste my time or the media’s. I have over 70 high quality pictures that I took personally from a Lumix digital camera (14.7 megapixels) which includes close-ups and multiple angles of The Montauk Monster.

If your publication is interested in obtaining exclusive pictures of The Montauk Monster or would like to interview Nicky Papers (yours truly!) please e-mail us. Local laboratories and independent research firms I encourage to contact us as well as we’d like to receive conclusive results as to what the Montauk Monster really is.

What do you think this monster is? Comment here.

Kind regards and best wishes,

Nicky Papers

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1,053 Responses to “The Montauk Monster is Found!”

1. Billy says:

I have no idea what this thing is. If you watch the show MonsterQuest on the history channel u’ll know that they talked about the monster for 10 minuets on the jersey devil episode. They also had the dirrector of Plum Island on and it seems to me that this thing didn’t come from Plum Island. Right now, my guess is that it’s some sort of small mammal that went extinct but didn’t really go extinct. Possibly the animal that made the transition from land animal to whale. The first one could maybe be a dog but the second one isn’t. Maybe it’s a turtle without it’s shell. Whatever it is the couple who found it should really try to get DNA testing on it. Then we would have solved the mystery of The Montauk Monster.

2. JayDeehl says:

I think it looks like a small bear. The head, tail and feet all look similar to a bear’s.

3. RicoBro says:

It looks like a polar bear missing the flesh that covers its nose.

4. Bethanie Fernandes says:

I have viewed the first “monster” – it was a decomposing koala – if you’ve ever seen a koala skeleton, you’d know.
    What the animal testing site was doing with koalas, how one escaped and came to rest and decompose in the montauk sound is beyond me. But the biggest mystery is what was tested on it, what did it have, what killed it, and why wasn’t the CDC all over it? This latest resurgence of the Montauk “Monster” is probably a sheep or other hoofed creature. There is no extra-terrestrial here – a plain ol’ decomposing animal. The REAL mystery is WHY the animal testing site would allow animals, dead or alive, off of Plum Island, what the animals are infected with, why the CDC or some other agency isn’t all over it and, for GAWD’s SAKE! DON’T keep it in your own fridge!!!! There is an inherent danger – crytid or known – there is an inherent danger in that!!!

5. tar says:

i am sooo intrigued by this. My husband took a glimpse at the video he thinks it is a turtle without a shell. whatever it is it looks gross… peace

6. Stevie says:

First one looks like a rhino and the second like a bear i see no simalarities to the two of the creatures!

7. Kristy Ford says:

At first sight my 5 year-old son saidit was a PIG. Its not some weird monster, its a water swollen dead PIG. Nothing exciting about that. Its just a sick way for people to make a quick dollar.

8. Kim says:

The old pics and new ones all look like dogs. On a old one, you can see a fly on the animal’s left flank.

9. Shylia says:

Hey!! Obviously none of us can give real good guess to what it is, because we haven’t seen it in person. However, I was looking at the different pictures from this current one and the former, and it almost looks like it could be a Seal. Possibly one from up north. With all the ‘Global Warming’ and with the ice melting we all know that the animals from up there are migrating down south for food, well these ‘creatures’ could have just traveled to far and got over-cooked in the waters. =) Seeing as the ‘arms/hands/claws/feet/hooves’, whatever you’d like to call them, almost look like they’re used for swimming, and catching prey.
    I can, though, see how people can get dogs and pigs, ect. mixed in with it. And I agree with Melissa Jones, it’s possibly a horribly gone wrong experiment. Anything’s possible, and with all the shitty animal testing going on, it could very well be some domesticated animal drugged up to it’s limit and tossed out.
    ((And this is why we have inspectors to check up on crappy testing facilities, ect.))

Well those are my theories. Of course the only way you’ll be able to figure out what it really is, IS by having a professional check it out. Maybe even burn off the rest of the skin and stuff, too look at the skeletal structure.
    Good luck. =))

10. Sensibility Bustle says:

Any student of animal biology can tell you a few things:
    First, it had fur. That means it’s likely a mammal.
    Second, the portion of the visible skull is the upper half, the maxilla. The large cavernous openings are the eye sockets; the wad of fur just behind that would likely be ears. The apparent lack of a tail (at least in the little that can be seen) would indicate that this dog had a docked tail, such as an Australian Shepherd (which would go with the fur on the head and ears…).
    Third, GET BETTER PICTURES if you want people to believe that this is anything but something common. Take a spotlight if you go out in the dark; make sure pictures are IN FOCUS, have scale indicators, and in accurate color as much as possible.
    Fourth, What did it weigh? What measurements were taken?

The use of the theory of Occam’s Razor says that the obvious answer is often the correct one. And the obvious here is D-O-G, dead and rotting.

Those of you who want to blame Plum Island…get a grip! The Plum Island facility studies animal diseases foreign to the US, such as foot and mouth, rabbit viral hemorrhagic disease, and so on. They don’t *do* gene splicing and ooh, warfare….get real.

In total disgust….

11. Chupacabra says:

This is possible a chupacabra. This creature has been found in Mexico and parts od Texas near Mexico. This creature is said to bite people in a way where the body part bitten decays and eventually falls off. This is a possibilty. I am not saying this may be it.

12. John Doe says:

Guys,

Sealion, Sea Turtle, Sheep….. I am a biologist and can tell you without a doubt that the skull you are looking at is from a carnivore or at least a predatory animal. Canid no….Those of you on the bear track are pretty close however you must not have seen the tail. Remember that no one has given the size of this specimen and you are jumping to the conclusion that it is a large animal. I do not want to spoil the fun so keep the comments coming but try a smaller animal not a canid but closely related. Have fun…………

13. The realist says:

Ever see a dead Iraqi float down the Tigris or a dead goat floating in the Persian Gulf? The bodies bloat, turn purple, and decay. That’s what happens to corpses. Also, dead bodies do not tend t smell like roses; they smell like *gasp* dead bodies.

Is it a monster or a griffen, or a cloning experiment gone horribly wrong? Considering the first carcass keeps getting the same strange speculations from people who ‘want to believe’, and that the first carcass was already declared a ‘raccoon or dog, probably a bull terrier’ by a zoologist, I’d have to say no, it is not a monster.

In fact, this one looks EXACTLY like a miniature bulldog, right down to the jowls and fur coloration. Needing to believe in spooky monsters does not make it a spooky monster, no matter how bad you wish for it.

Why has noone gotten a DNA test done on the carcass? Why that would make this a very uninteresting story and the attention whore who keeps pushing this story and sensationalizing it would not get his needed time in the spotlight. This blogger should drop his propaganda and lies and start webdesigning or creating backgrounds. The content is b.s., but at least the site looks pretty.

14. Maureen Lycaon says:

Definitely a raccoon.

15. allen says:

someone has been doing a little gene splicing and there finally getting rid of the bodies

16. Actual Biologist says:

I will say this once again in the vain hope someone will read it:

TURTLES CANNOT COME OUT OF THEIR SHELLS

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don’t believe me, please check out these helpful links:

See how, in the second image, the spine is fused to the roof of the shell? The shell itself is made of the turtle’s expanded and fused ribs. If you tried to pull a turtle out of its shell, you’d just rip it apart!

17. Karen says:

Know one actually knows what we have roaming this earth…Our world changes from century to centuryhowever if you do find out exactly what it is I would most definitely would like to the findings…best of luck my friend

18. Marlene says:

I think its a polar bear

19. Alexis says:

To me it looks like what a turtle would look like without it’s shell.

20. Jim Smith says:

Premature Elephant

21. Cheryl Baumann says:

It could be any number of things. When something out of the ordinary “appears” to surface, why are the photos and videos always unclear? I’m pretty sure Long Island isn’t in the dark round the clock. Maybe next Friday night, I can take out my old Dodge with the one yellow headlight and my trusty Brownie camera, and get a quick shot of that ugly Road Kill near the town dump….

22. Luis molano says:

ok im 15 but like from what i can see this is no ordinary creauture. Have you ever thought that maybe ths “creature” is not from earth or maybe its some type of mutated experiment went wrong. look from what i saw on the other pics of the first “creature” the head looks like it has some type of horns it anmost looks mythycal as some might say. Look in my opinion this smells like government. So like im gonna investigate this in my old books and like reply to ths comment because i might have the answer to what this thing really is.

23. B says:

Um this looks like a bear!

24. PhatBoi says:

Have you seen teenage mutant ninja turles 2, secret of the ooze? well he looks like the mutated snapping turtle without its shell

25. Stacy says:

I just recently found out about this so-called discovery on MSN when logging into my MSN IM, the picture of whatever this may be caught my eye, and so I dicided to check out this website of Nickys. Even though I find this to be quite interesting, and none the less very strange, I must say that until tests are done even with the pictures that Nicky took its very hard to tell what this ”thing” is. However if this does turn up to be a dog or some other sort of animal and if ”Plum Island” has anything to do with this I hope to god that they will be serverly punished. Too many so-called deaths and/or actsidents lately have been known to have happened mostly because of others mistakes/screw-ups. Its not right that people and/or animals should have to suffer because of it. BTY Thank you to Nicky for sharing this story. Best of luck to all.

26. Beverly says:

Quite frankly, it looks like someones feeble attempt to discard “Cloning gone bad experiments”. It’s almost like they’ve put several types of D.N.A. together, and this is what came out. But, who knows, part of it looks like a chicken, and I’ve read that the only amimal, so far, that cannot be cloned is in fact a chicken. I’m quite sure, as John-Q-Public, we will never be told the truth anyhow. I’ve always thought that “bad information”, is worse than none.

27. Ann Marie says:

For you folks who don’t believe in animal hybridization experimentation: WAKE UP! One biologist has been known to try human-ape hybridizations as far back as the mid 1920s (check out Ilya Ivanov). “Ivanov…pioneers the use of artifician insemination to produce various hybrids, including that of a zebra and a donkey, a rat and a mouse and a guinea pig, and an antelope and a cow. His most radical experiment though was his attempt to produce a human-ape hybrid.” (Acts & Facts, May 2009, p 12).

28. adam says:

my wife and i do not believe its a dog, a raccoon, a sea turtle without its shell, or even a pig…theres to many parts that cancel each other out…a turtle with out a shell…would have more physical damage than you’d think and turtles dont have hinge jointe (elbows) theyre arms are muscle and fins, plus they do not have teeth.
    One thing i have noticed with every accounting of this creature is that no one seems to know or think to put the size of this animal in their reports making it even harder to get an idea of what it may be closest related or resembling to. dogs dont have beaks or canines that would grow in that manner…resembeling a warthog typed teeth… pig…no the tail is too long for farm type pigs pluse the feet are not hooves and no snout…we find the feet interesting and we would like to know more about that and the height or size of it
    Since you are an eye-witness maybe you can fill that part in for us!!

29. Carl says:

Well, at 1st glance I thought it was my X-Wife… then after clearing my startled vissions, It’s a bear. Which one (species of) well could be a few different types that match it fairly close. But, definately bear family. Is this an example of an ignorant society? Freaks out over a carcass in the water. Seems almost like mass hysteria. Oh well, someone having fun with pictures.

30. C Brown says:

It’s a turtle

31. angie says:

Well I can definetly see that being the case but the question is… Is what breed of animal was it before the experimented on it. It looks to me that it could have been some type of canine like a bulldog or rottweiler. which my instinct says it is. Because it really seems impossible to be a turtle. but, the facial features should give a clue. it would not surprise me if the plum island’s research has lead to this por animals dismay. but, in order to test the vaccines they probably test them on animals such as these.

32. a haney says:

It looks to me like a big turtle that lost it’s shell.

33. Chris says:

It’s a dog. Its very easy to see. People hype it up that it’s a monster so everyone believes it. If we say that it is a strange creature that no one has ever seen then there is no publicity in it. If a veterinarian found it then there would be nothing to the story except “dead dog washes onto shore”. Maybe I’m wrong, but I’ve seen dead dogs, pigs, cows, and other various domesticated animals and livestock. Living in rural Kansas you see these things more commonly than most. I believe that its a dog, can’t say what breed, a longer faced dog it appears. The dog in the pictures at the top of this page, looks closely like a boxer to me. Sorry folks but if people would have these incredible mysterious freaks of science from a secret lab studied by an independent, credible, animal expert, then I think this whole BS hype would go away. Don’t believe everything your told, use a little common sense.

34. Samantha says:

I think its gross lol…but i dont know what it could be…i always thought it could have been a species of turtle, without the shell…because i was thinking that if it was an animal with fur..or hair say a bear or a dog…the skin wouldnt have that rubbery look to it…land animals dont have skin like that…eww lol and if it was…what the hell is in the water to make them lose their hair or fur?

35. Karen B says:

This is not a mystery at all: it’s a sea turtle without its shell, poor thing. Sea animals that prey on them do not eat the shell and leave the turtle, so some horrible person who uses the shell only is killing these amazing creatures to use their shells, probably in medicines. Therefore the culprit is probably Chinese. They have no reverence for nature anymore (their culture was once largely based on living in harmony with nature). If you had ever been a sea turtle swimming in the ocean, it is a beautiful thing. It is like they are in slow motion, but they are moving fast. They “fly” through the ocean. They are noble beasts, they are precious. So using their shells for medicine is a terrible waste. Whoever did this should be prosecuted. We need to find out who is selling turtle shell to shops in Chinatown!

36. Na says:

Has anyone taken into consideration that maybe this is animal testing gone wrong? Or maybe even that fact that Plum Island is crossing animal DNA to see what kind of new animal they can come up with? Do an internet search on Plum Island and see what you come up with. This is what I found on Wikipedia.

Plum Island Animal Disease Center
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search

Plum Island Animal Disease CenterThe Plum Island Animal Disease Center (PIADC) is a United States federal research facility dedicated to the study of foreign animal diseases. Since 1954, the center has had the goal of protecting America’s livestock from foreign animal diseases. During the Cold War a secret biological weapons program targeting livestock was conducted at the site. This program has been the subject of controversies, and the facility has gained a cult status.

37. chris says:

Its either a walrus or a seal people .

38. Sam says:

someone has probably said this, but
    isn’t it just a sea lion or something?

with the neck, skull, body it could be…
    and where the ‘flippers’ of a sea lion were, have decomposed and now looks like a small hand???

cause they also have teeth, fairly big ones as well i think :S

look at that link… bone structure of a sea lion… to me it looks exactly like the ‘Montauk Monster’

so yeah…. :D

39. Susie says:

This is a hoax, or a unshelled sea tortoise or something. the EXACT picture was in the Weekly World News in the 80s!

40. Alyx says:

i think that this thing could be a turtle, because like you said, if you cover the body up with a shell, it does look like a turtle. But when you said the arms dont look like a turtle, i think you could have been wrong. If you look at the arms, then it reminds me of a turtle because some tutrles do have arms of that length, and the “fingers”, of it, could have been bones, because the hands look pretty decomposed to me. And alot of animals with flippers, or whatever you call then, have finger like bones just like that. However, the skull does not look like a turtle at all. turtles have more of a round shaped head, and this skull is pointy, almost like a beak, but i know that some turtles do have something like a beak for their mouth, so i think this very well could be a turtle.

41. Bella :) says:

Um okay not sure exactly what this is, but I have a couple of theories.

Is it possible that this creature is something that froze in one of our melting glaciers and ended up here?

Perhaps Plum Island has created this animal?

Possibly it is a raccon or maybe a dog…

Personally I think that this Monster and the first don’t really look the same so are they possibly two different species?

Maybe somebody placed it there? It wouldn’t be covered in sand if it had actually washed up, right?

42. Will says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a hybrid (genetic manipulation)
    a cross between different animals! Do you guys have any private labs around that surrounding area or government property ?

43. WomanofMedicine says:

Ok people open your eyes. You act as if you have been in school studing all kinds of Sciences. Marine, Oceanic,Biology, ….. Please, what ever that is, it is most certainly not that easily explained. The jaw did not look like that of a dog, pig maybe? Maybe more like a Bore! The body, could have sand on it even if it was washed ashore. YES! I know I have been studing this for sometime! Marine Science. I have the degrees to show this. Now picture yourself at the beach, your laying in the edge of the water and you let the water slowly push you to land, you will still have sand on you wether it is from wind, or just what settles on you when the water slide off. This carcass, was obviously dead in the water for awhile, hence its bloating. I Most definately do not see a DOG! That erks me. That is not only to big for the dogs you guys are mentioning, but a dog would not be in such an unnatural position. The video granted was not done very well for someone that wanted to take so much effort to prove this. So, in retrospect, I would have to see a video that had much more light, and a more natural appearance in the film. To me, though seriously, I would have to say, that this could be some kind of experiment that went horribly wrong and was trying to be covered up by dumping it in the Ocean, and then not acting on finding out what it could be, or giving the public some clues. Unles it is classified! > could they cover up anything< Yes! Proof, Area 51!

44. Alice says:

Honestly, I think it looks like some sort of pig. Look at the legs and the behind and compare it to a pig. :o Alot of people say its a dog but it looks nothing like a dog or a racoon.. well, to me. It’s very interesting, though. I agree with Chris, There are millions of species undiscovered. If you don’t believe me then think about the creatures living in the deep parts of the ocean that we cannot reach. =] I think it’s amazing to find such creatures.

45. David Marjanović says:

(Never mind the canines. Those teeth? A goat? Please!)

46. Ana says:

Hi, Contact a crytozoologist. They would be interested in testing the dna which would give you a exact result

47. David Marjanović says:

Can’t be a goat or any ruminant – it’s got upper incisors. And besides, it’s a raccoon in the first place…

48. David Marjanović says:

Oh and I’ve never seen of an head of animal decompose perfectly down to dry bone before the rest of the body.

That’s in fact normal. That happens right after most of the hair falls out and right before the hands and feet decompose.

49. Melissa Jones says:

Since 2003 researchers at Plum Island have been working on vaccines that supposedly combat animal foot and mouth diseases.

Because this creature has deformed feet and mouth, I can only assume this is a result of our tax dollars gone awry.

They probably dump their screw-ups out in the ocean somewhere in the hopes they’ll be eaten by fish and this one probably washed up to the shore by accident.

Makes me wonder what is really going on at Plum Island.

50. David Marjanović says:

It’s not a dog, it’s not a fake, it’s not a tapir (I mean, please!), it’s not a rodent, it’s not a sheep, it’s not a pig, it’s not an opossum, it’s not a seal, it’s not a bear… though that’s the closest, except for size.

It’s a raccoon, like last time. This simply is what half-rotten raccoons look like when they’ve floated in the sea for a while, down to the details of the teeth, the skull shape, and the fingers.

I’m disappointed that that’s not an option in the poll.

Also, what is this nonsense about beaches being places of erosion? Rocky coasts are places of erosion. Beaches are places of deposition. Deposition is how beaches come to be in the first place.

Oh, and, one thing: There is no such thing as a turtle without its shell. That’s because the shell is the ribcage fused to bone plates in the skin and covered with horny plates (like fingernails). It contains the ribs and the vertebrae of the back. And the collarbones even.

Besides, the last turtle with teeth in its jaws died some 215 million years ago…