Antibiotics are an essential part of the modern medicine. More and more new bacteria which cause complicated infectious diseases are registered every year. And only the strongest antibiotics such as Augmentin are able to neutralize the action of bacteria and stop the infectious processes.
Augmentin is a multi-agent antibiotic used for the treatment of the various infectious and inflammatory diseases. It contains two active ingredients at once:
amoxicillin and clavulanic acid.
The therapeutic effect of Augmentin is achieved by means of the bactericidal action of Amoxicillin as to many bacteria. This is one of the safest and effective antibiotics which is well tolerated by children and adults, almost does not have side effects and kills both intracellular and extracellular microorganisms.
A drawback of amoxicillin is a poor resistance to the action of beta-lactamase, so that it cannot neutralize the action of microorganisms which produce these enzymes.
Clavulanic acid removes this drawback, blocks active beta-lactamase and dilates a range of the action of Amoxicillin.
Augmentin is produced in the tablets of oval form and white color, solution for the injections, and a powder. Depending on the severity of the infection, its site and type of the originator, patients are prescribed the most optimal medical form of Augmentin.
The pills of Augmentin are produced in three doses:
– 250 mg amoxicillin + 125 mg clavulanic acid
– 500 mg amoxicillin + 125 mg clavulanic acid
– 875 mg amoxicillin + 125 mg clavulanic acid
Who is prescribed Augmentin?
Augmentin is prescribed during inflammatory infections caused by susceptible microorganisms: tonsillitis, sinusitis, otitis media, acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis, pneumonia, cystitis, urethritis, pyelonephritis, genital infections, gonorrhea, osteomyelitis, dental abscesses, periodontitis, puerperal sepsis, etc.
How to take Augmentin?
– To treat infections of the middle severity, adults and children over 12 years old are prescribed Augmentin 375 mg 3 times per day
– If severe infections, a pill of Augmentin 625 mg is recommended 3 times per day
– The minimal length of the antibacterial therapy is 5 days
– In the treatment of the sexually-transmitted diseases, Augmentin 1000 mg is recommended 2-3 times per day
– If you have already taken Augmentin and had allergy or functional disorders of liver during the treatment, this medicine is contraindicated
– The use of Augmentin is possible during pregnancy but under the doctor’s supervision
– Do not take Augmentin with bacteriostatic antibiotics
Using Augmentin causes the following side effects: nausea, vomiting, change in taste, diarrhea, insomnia, confusion, pain in the joints, and mucosal candidiasis.
The side effects are met in about 3% of patients and pass softly. If the side effects bother you, consult a doctor.