Herpes virus affects the central nervous system at childhood. If you have a good immunity, the unpleasant symptoms and attack of the disease will not bother you. If your body is weak and virus is spread all over the skin and mucous membranes, you can start using Zovirax.
Zovirax is an antiviral product of the new generation which arrests the symptoms of the herpes virus and cleans the skin from the rash. It contains an active ingredient Acyclovir which goes through several stages of metabolism and is turned into Acyclovir triphosphate. This ingredient has a bad influence on the virus DNA, so that they stop growing.
Zovirax provides a specific selective action and is accumulated only in the affected cells. It does not affect the work of the healthy cells of the central nervous system, and therefore it does not cause a dangerous side effect to the human body.
It has been medically proved that Zovirax helps to reduce the symptoms of herpes virus (skin rash, inflammation, itching, pain, and others) within 2-3 days, but it is impossible to completely clean the cells of the CNS from this virus. Patients can take this medicine on a regular basis to treat and prevent herpes virus in order to reduce the frequency of the virus symptoms.
Zovirax is released in the tablets of 200 mg, 400 mg, 800 mg for the oral use, and also in the form of gel/ointment/cream with 5% amount of Acyclovir for the external application.
Who is prescribed Zovirax?
Zovirax is prescribed during infections of the skin and mucous membranes which are caused by herpes virus:
– primary and recurrent genital herpes
– Herpes simplex type 1 and 2
Zovirax is also used to prevent and treat herpes in patients with HIV and immunodeficiency, and also after transplantation of organs and bone marrow.
How to takeZovirax?
Depending on the type of the viral infection and site of the disease symptoms, patients are prescribed tablets or ointment Zovirax. Sometimes, a combined treatment is needed, and a drug is used both orally, and externally.
Zovirax in tablets:
– Children over 2 years old and adults are prescribed one tablet of Zovirax 200 mg 5 times per day, within 5 days to treat herpes simplex type 1 and 2 and genital herpes
– Patients with immunodeficiency are recommended to take a tablet of Zovirax 400 mg 5 times per day within 5 days
– To treat chickenpox, Zovirax 800 mg is recommended 5 times per day within 7 days
Zovirax in the form of cream:
Zovirax cream is applied with thin layer to the affected parts of the skin and is slightly rubbed. The medicine is applied 4-5 times per day after the appearance of the first signs of the virus.
If the treatment is started as soon as possible, it is possible to avoid severe inflammation and formation of ulcers.
– Do not take Zovirax during individual intolerance of Acyclovir
– Zovirax is not contraindicated during pregnancy but consult a doctor before beginning the treatment
– Avoid sexual intercourses, or use barrier contraceptives during the treatment of the genital herpes to reduce the probable transfer of the virus to a partner
The side effect of Zovirax is minimal if precautions are observed. However, in the individual cases, there are some side effects such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, confusion, and sleepiness. These side effects are well tolerated, and that is why they do not affect the efficiency of the treatment and the human working capacity.