Epileptic seizures can testify about the affection of the cerebral cortex or pathologies in the central nervous system. In any case, the attacks of epilepsy should be controlled and Neurontin works for it well.
Neurontin is a brand name of Gabapentin which is a cyclic structural analogue of gammaamino butyric acid. This acid is contained in the central nervous system and is responsible for the work of the neurotransmitters and metabolic processes in the tissues of the brain.
Using Neurontin, there is supplementing of deficit of gammaamino butyric acid due to which the processes are restored in the brain, the work of the central nervous system is improved, and its agitation is reduced, and the blood circulation is regulated in the brain.
According to the structure and mechanism of the action, Neurontin differs from barbiturates, tranquilizers and valproic acid. So if you have contraindications for the use of that medicines, you can take Neurontin. The pharmacological safety of Neurontin is by several times higher than in other drugs for the treatment of epilepsy due to the natural effect on the CNS.
Neurontin is produced in the form of capsules and tablets for the peroral administration.
Neurontin 200 mg capsules are blue, Neurontin 300 mg capsules are yellow, Neurontin 400 mg capsules are orange.
Oval tablets of Neurontin 600 mg and 800 mg are covered and white.
Who is prescribed Neurontin?
Neurontin is approved for the treatment of the epilepsy symptoms including the resistant forms. This medicine may be used for the treatment of neuropathy in patients over 18 years old.
How to take Neurontin?
It is recommended to begin the use of Neurontin from the minimal doses and increase the daily dose depending on the therapeutic effect.
– The initial dose of Neurontin is 300 mg 3 times per day
– The optimal dosage regimen of Neurontin is 900 mg 3 times per day
– The maximal daily dose of Neurontin is 1200 mg 3 times per day
– Tablets/capsules should be used in the same period of time
– The dose should be gradually increased and lowered because an abrupt change of the dosage regimen may cause side effects and epileptic attack
– Using Neurontin during pregnancy can slow down the development of fetus, and therefore a medicine is prescribed only in emergency
– Neurontin may cause sleepiness and reduction of the concentration, and therefore a patient should be careful while driving
– If renal failure, a metabolism of Gabapentin may be broken, and therefore the medicine is not recommended
Using Neurontin, you should be ready for the appearance of the side effects. In some cases, dizziness and mild migraine, ataxia, increased appetite, mild edema, dyspepsia, and myalgia may occur.
The skin allergic reactions appear seldom but the use of the antihistamine drugs will arrest the allergy symptoms. If allergy is increased, the treatment is stopped.