Finasteride helps to cope with alopecia all over the world. This medicine of the new generation neutralizes a cause of alopecia and its symptoms. But this medicine does not work during all types of alopecia, and that is why one read instructions for the use before buying Finasteride.
Finasteride is the first medical product which has been approved by FDA to treat androgenic alopecia. This pharmaceutical product has been synthesized in Merck&Co, and it was represented under the trade mark Proscar on the market in 1992.
Finasteride is an antiandrogenic product which blocks the production of dihydrotestosterone. This active form of the male sexual hormones can stimulate prostatic benign tumor and influence on the hair follicles.
In 1997, Merck&Co represented Propecia drug on the market. This medicine is still the most effective product for the alopecia treatment.
Finasteride inhibits 5-alpha-reductase type II which turns testosterone into dihydrotestosterone. As a result of these biochemical processes, the level of testosterone is increased, and the level of dihydrotestosterone is decreased.
The normal function of the hair follicles is restored, hair is not lost, and new hair begins to grow during the decreased active form of the androgenic hormones.
Finasteride is produced in pills for the perorla use, 1 mg and 5 mg. The pills may differ by form and color depending on the manufacturer and a brand name. the external differences of Finasteride pills do not influence on the pharmacological characteristics of this medicine.
Who is prescribed Finasteride?
Finasteride is prescribed men for the treatment of pathologies caused by increase of the androgenic hormone dihydrotestosterone.
– Androgenic alopecia
– Benign prostatic hyperplasia
How to take Finasteride?
The dosage regimen and scheme of taking Finasteride depends on the medical image of a patient.
– To treat benign prostatic hyperplasia, Finasteride is used in the dose of 5 mg once per day regardless of meals. The length of the treatment depends on the efficiency of the therapy and reduction of the inflammation in the prostate tissues
– To treat androgenic alopecia, Finasteride is used in the dose of 1 mg per day, within 9012 months. The first results appear in 3 months but the treatment is continued till complete recovery of hair
– Finasteride is not recommended during hepatic failure
– Finasteride is contraindicated women because it can cause severe hormone disorders in women of the reproductive age
– Before the treatment, have a medical examination and find out a potential risk of the prostate cancer
Men almost do not experience side effects during the use of Finasteride. Sometimes, erectile dysfunction may be low or libido is reduced. But these are reversible side effects which pass after the therapy with Finasteride. If you noticed an allergic reaction (urticaria, itching, rash) during the use of Finasteride, consult a doctor.