Common antibiotics of the broad action do not do for the treatment of the sexually-transmitted diseases. Doctors prefer using more effective medicines of the narrow action which better kill the pathogenic microflora. Flagyl is widely used medicine all over the world for the treatment of the sexually-transmitted diseases.
Flagyl isa brand name of Metronidazole. It has been approved by FDA and is used for the treatment of the sexually-transmitted infections. Flagyl has aspecial mechanism of the action. Metronidazole is one of the best antiprotozoal products. After absorbing from the GIT, it penetrates into the cells of pathogenic microflora, and kills a formation of new DNA and RNA chains, so that microorganisms stop growing.
The therapeutic effect of Flagyl quickly occurs, within 3-4 days, however the treatment may take a long period because it is necessary to completely neutralize the activity of morbificmicroflora. Therefore, Flagyl is recommended to be used for at least 5-10 days depending on the type of the disease.
Flagyl may be used with antibiotics of broad action for more intense antimicrobial effect.
Flagyl is released in pills for the peroral use which are blue and oval. One side of the pill has capital letter FLAGYL, and another side has dose 250 or 500 mg.
Who is prescribed Flagyl?
Flagyl is prescribed patients with infectious diseases of skin, internal organs, bones, and joints which have been caused by protozoa and anaerobic microorganisms.
The indications for the use of Flagyl are as follows:
– Intestinal giardiasis
– Liver giardiasis
– Trichomonas urethritis/vaginitis, etc.
How to take Flagyl?
Flagyl is used perorally, with enough water. The scheme of the treatment and dosage regimen are individual, after previous medical examination.
– To treat trichomonas vaginitis/urethritis, Flagyl is taken in the dose of 250 mg 2 times per day, within 10 days. In case of the ineffective treatment, the daily dose of Flagyl 500 mg can be increased by 250 mg and the treatment lasts for more 10 days.
– If amebiasis, Flagyl is taken in the dose of 500 mg 3 times per day within 7 days
– If giardiasis, Flagyl is taken in the dose of 500 mg 2 times per day within 5 days
– Flagyl is contraindicated during pregnancy, organic affections of the CNS, and hepatic failure
– If severe allergic reaction appeared during the use of Flagyl, it is necessary to stop the treatment
– Flagyl causes intolerance of ethanol, and Disulfiram, and therefore alcohol consumption is strictly prohibited during the treatment
Using Flagyl can cause nausea, a metallic taste in the mouth, dry mouth, decreased appetite, pancreatitis, headache, dizziness, and ataxia. These all side effects are weak but they should be controlled. If the side effects become stronger, it is necessary to see a doctor.