Most inflammatory and allergic diseases can be treated with the help of non-hormone drugs. The use of the hormone drugs is helpful only if a significant disease progress is observed in the setting of the treatment. Today, one of the best hormone drugs of the broad spectrum action is Prednisone in the pharmaceutical practice.
Prednisone is a pharmacological agent which is used for the hormone therapy in patients with severe inflammatory allergic, infectious processes. This is a pharmacological analogue of the adrenal cortex which has been synthesized in the laboratory and may make good the deficit of these hormones in the human body.
Regulating the hormone level of the adrenal cortex, Prednisone can take part in many metabolic processes in the body: the increase of the glucose level in the blood, catabolic action, redistribution of the fatty tissue, reduction of the bone density, blocking of the inflammation mediators, and inhibition of the synthesis of the mediators of the allergic reaction.
During the change of many metabolic processes, there is an inhibition of the basic pathological processes, and then it is necessary to restore the function of the body and return to the previous life.
Prednisone is released in tablets of round shape and white and yellow color. The tablets have “DAN DAN” and a number equaling the dose of the active ingredient. The tablets are released in the dose of 1 ,g, 2,5 mg, 5 mg, 10 mg, 20 mg, and 50 mg.
Who is prescribed Prednisone?
Prednisone is prescribed patients with pathological processes of the degenerative, inflammatory, allergic, infectious origin which are not treatable by non-hormone drugs:
– Bronchial asthma
– rheumatoid arthritis
– Chronic/acute allergic diseases
– Inflammatory skin diseases
– Lupus erythematous
– Hair Loss
– Hepatic coma
– Acute adrenocortical insufficiency, etc.
How to take Prednisone?
Prednisone should be used on a regular basis, without missing any day. To make good the deficit of the hormones of the adrenal cortex and stop the pathological processes, the treatment begins with high doses.
Prednisone dose for adults:
– An initial dose of Prednisone is 20-50 mg per day
– A maintaining dose of Prednisone is 5-10 mg per day
A maintaining dose is prescribed after the improvement of the disease symptoms.
Prednisone dose for children:
– An initial dose of Prednisone is 1-2 mg per 1 kg of the body weight of a child
– A maintaining dose is 0,3-0,6 mg per 1 kg of the body weight of a child
– It is necessary to be observed by oculist, control the blood pressure and electrolytic balance, peripheral blood and sugar level in the blood during the treatment (especially long one)
– Prednisone is contraindicated during gastric ulcer in acute renal failure, osteoporosis, hypertension, viral infections.
As Prednisone is a hormone product which influences on many metabolic processes, patients can experience side effects during the use of the drug: weight gain, hypertension, increased blood sugar, psychiatric disorders, exacerbation of gastric ulcers.
The side effects may be various, and therefore it is necessary to control health and regularly visit a doctor.